My wife made this for the first time and let me tell you, it was a hit. Definitely will be added to the dinner rotation. This is one of the meals from the Body Beast workout, but it can fit into any nutrition plan as long as you keep in mind your calories and macro-nutrients for your goal.
Prep Time: 15 min.
Cook Time: 35 min.
Yield: 4 servings, 1 1/2 cups each
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground turkey meat (we get the 4 pack from Costco)
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 15 oz can pinto or kidney beans, rinsed and drained (we used pinto)
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce (non-sugar added)
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1) Heat oil in large saucepan over med/high heat. Add turkey, onion, bell pepper and garlic.
2) Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until turkey is no longer pink.
3) Add cumin, chili powder, salt, and cayenne pepper; stir and cook another minute.
4) Stir in kidney beans and tomato sauce; bring to a boil
5) Reduce heat to low and gently simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 to 20 minutes or until thickened.
6) Serve warm sprinkled with parsley.
Variations: Substitute ground diced chicken or turkey breast for turkey. Add garbanzo beans and organic corn for additional texture and flavor.
*Shonda’s Tip: Add salt and pepper to taste.
Another Tip: This meal can be placed in an individual container and freeze for future meals.
NUTRITIONAL VALUE PER PANCAKE:
Calories: 433 | Protein: 43 g | Carbs: 33 g | Sugars: 10 g | Fiber: 11 g| Fat: 16 g | Saturated Fat: 4 g | Sodium: 794 mg