You CAN take risks and make bold choices without derailing your life
It’s almost impossible to browse the internet and not be reminded of how everything great happens outside of your comfort zone.
We’ve all accepted this as a universal truth, and with good reason.
It’s very rare that you’ll find advice about how to navigate the uncertainty and risk that comes with exiting your comfort zone though.
- I mean, yes I could create my ideal career by quitting my unfulfilling day job to focus on what I love, but it would take time and there’s a learning curve to be put into consideration.
- I could move to a new country and “eat, pray, love” my way into the perfect relationship but what about my friends and family that I’d have to leave behind?
- I could get on the keto diet and finally lose all that extra weight while feeding my brain and reversing the effects of aging, but what about carbs? I really love carbs!
We all want to move ahead in life. What usually holds us back is the fear of the unknown. We want to take that leap and hope that we’ll sprout wings and learn to fly but what if we don’t? What if it takes us a few tries and a lot of time before we succeed?
The answer to this dilemma and the trick to increasing your risk tolerance lies in your ability to bring comfort with you as you venture into the unknown.
This simply means that for every risk that you’d like to take, figure out an option for a safety net.
- If you’d like to start a new business, put away some savings to tide you over while you get things in order, or get a new job that won’t take up as much of your time.
- You may not be able to bring your family with you on all your adventures, but you can join groups and make friends with people who are already living the life you want.
- You can incorporate an allowance for carbs in your diet by allowing for “cheat days,” which have been known to help people stick to their diets for longer!
As you can see, leaving your comfort zone doesn’t necessarily mean you have to go without the things that make you happy. You just need to figure out what’s important to you and make arrangements to bring it along on your next great quest!