Seven Simple Steps for Setting and Achieving Goals!
Summary of Eat That Frog Chapter 1 – Set the Table!
In Brian Tracy’s book Eat That Frog Chapter 1 he lays out Seven Simple Steps that will help you with achieving goals and getting things done. In Chapter 1, which is title “Set the table”, he emphasize that in order to reach your goals you must first know what it is you’re trying to achieve. If you are clear about what it is you want to accomplish, it will make it easier to overcome procrastination. Those that absolutely know what they what to accomplish get more work done at a faster pace. Below are the seven easy steps he lays out on how to get this done.
Steps for Setting and Achieving goals!
Step 1: Decide exactly what you want to accomplish.
- One of the very worst uses of time is to do something very well that need not be done at all.
- Stephen Covey quote, “Before you begin scrambling up the ladder of success, make sure that it is leaning against the right building.”
Step 2: Write it down.
- Think on Paper, take the time to write down what it is you want to accomplish.
- A goal that is not written down is merely a fantasy or wish.
Step 3: Set a deadline on your goals.
- A goal or task without a deadline has no urgency.
- Without a definite timeframe/deadline for your goal you will naturally procrastinate.
Step 4: Make a list of everything that you can think of that you are going to have to do to achieve your goal.
- A list gives you a visual picture of the the larger task.
- As new task come-up, add them to the list. Keep adding task until the goal is complete.
Step 5: Organize the list into a plan.
- Organize your list by priority.
- Decide what has to be done first and what can be done later.
- You can use flow charts, and other visual clues if that helps.
Step 6: Take action on your plan immediately.
- Do something. Do anything.
- An average plan vigorously executed is way better than a brilliant plan on which nothing is done.
Step 7: Resolve to do something every single day that move you toward your major goal or task.
- Build this activity into your daily schedule.
- Add this activity into your daily schedule and keep working at it piece by piece until it’s done.
Action Item from Chapter 1
Take a clean sheet of paper right now and make out a list of ten goals you want to accomplish in the next year. Write your goals as though a year has already passed and they are now a reality. Use the present tense, positive and personal case so that they are immediately accepted by your subconscious mind.
For example, you would write. “I earn X number of dollars per year.” Or “I weigh X number of pounds.” Or “I drive such and such a car.”
Then, go back over your list of ten goals and select the one goal that, if you achieved it, would have the greatest positive impact on your life. Whatever that goal is, write it on a separate sheet of paper, set a deadline, make a plan, take action on your plan and then do it!
Brian Tracy provides some valuable steps in this chapter that will definitely help with achieving goals and getting things done. But remember team, this information like everything else will only help if you put it into action. Start NOW and continue to do it over and over again. After a while it will become a healthy habit that will make you a more product person at work, home and otherwise.
If you find this post helpful make sure to LIKE, COMMENT, and SHARE this post with others. And be sure to let me know how you are doing and if there is anything I can help you with.
Success is yours; all you have to do is go get it!!
Keep Bringing it everyone!